Home   |   About Us   |   History of Melksham   |   Slide Shows   |   Past Events   |   Contact Us
Programme 2022
60th Anniversary Year


Click here for details

Thu 16th June 2022
Visit to Calne Heritage Centre
with optional guided walk 2 pm Arranged by Sue Boddington

Thu 21st July 2022
Coach to Bristol
with option of visit to Brunel Centre & SS Gt Britain or a four hour boat trip to the Suspension Bridge (picnic lunch needed) Departure 8 30 am King Street Car Park

Thu 15th September 2022
Looking back at Melksham in 1962
Presented by a member of the committee

Thu 20th October 2022
Changing Times
The impact of total war on Wiltshire 1939 – 1955
Presented by Local Studies Librarian Julie Davis

Thu 17th November 2022
AGM & Social Evening

 
Recent Events

Thu 19th May 2022
Visit to the refurbished Trowbridge Museum 2 pm
With introductory talk by David Birks
more details...

Thu 21st April 2022
Wiltshire’s White Horses
Presented by Director of Devizes Museum David Dawson
more details...

Thu 17th March 2022
A Policeman’s Lot
Presented by Keith Hickets
more details...

View All Recent Events

 
Melksham and District Historical Association 
A brief history of the association 

 
During the early 1960’s there were great changes taking place in Melksham with new development within the town centre and changes to factories and commercial premises. 

In November 1962 a group of 10 people who had an interest in preserving the town's heritage met in the town hall, presided over by Councillor W.A.Catte. During this meeting it was proposed by Mr Cooper that “Melksham and District Historical Association” be formed. This was agreed unanimously by all attending. 

The aims of the society were to preserve and record for posterity the events and buildings etc in the town and surrounding area, also to probe past records, to bring to light items and past events of historical interest. 

In February 1965 meetings were held in the lecture room of the newly opened Library in Lowbourne and membership grew to approximately 40, with an average meeting attendance of 19. 

Over the next 10 years membership increased to approx 80 in the mid 1970’s. With an attendance at meetings of about 50 members, it was apparent that the lecture room in the Library was just not big enough and the committee researched alternative venues for the meetings. The result was that from September 1996 meeting were held at the Assembly Hall. The move to better facilities in the Assembly hall reflected in an increase in membership in 2001 to 120. 

From September through to April, meeting are arranged in the Assembly Hall with guest speakers and slide shows of local interest, which are very popular. May, June and July are reserved for visits to local places of interest and our annual outing, which takes place in July. 

Exhibitions of photographs and artefacts have always been a feature of the Association’s aims and activities and the committee attend local events promoting local history. 

We also have reserved wall space within the Assembly Hall for display boards. 

Over the years the Association members have been responsible for producing a number of papers and publications on local history. The most prolific writer of papers was Mr Peter Brown, who was one of the original members of the Association and was the President until he passed away in 2014. John Holness then accepted the presidents position, following his many years as the Association Chairman. Our current president is Tony Fivash.